Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Weekend of the Upset!

What is up with College Football lately? Seems the rankings are just way off.

(Just for perspective, most of my family are from Ohio, so I am a Buckeyes fan...)

No. 1 USC fell to unranked Oregon State! (Love to see a team that just beat OSU fall on their sword...)

No. 3 Georgia lost to No. 8 Alabama! (Sorry Kevin. I didn't have a "dog" in this fight, but I know you did...)

No. 4 Florida fell to unranked Mississippi! (After they whopped OSU so many times, I am really happy to see this!)

No. 9 Wisconsin lost to unranked Michigan. (It was hard to pick a side on this game as I really dislike Michigan, but normally root for the underdog.)

No. 16 Wake Forest lost to unranked Navy.

No. 20 Clemson fell to unranked Maryland.

...AND my No. 14 Buckeyes WON against undefeated (and unranked) Minnesota.

Now I am only a number watching fan, not a sportscaster by any stretch, and even I can see that some of these teams are just flat over-rated... or is it that any given team at this high level of competition can beat just about any other team on any given day.

Sometimes its hard to remember that these guys are mostly just kids from the age of 18-22, putting it all out there on the field for a few seasons before they have to grow up. Kind of sounds like our military, right, 18-22 year old kids putting it all out there on the line for a few seasons. Then there are those old salts that go pro....

Then there is the whole underdog thing. It is interesting how we root for the under-dog as long as they are not playing our team, right?

Just my thoughts, have a very happy Sunday!

Semper Fi,
m

No comments: