Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Experience...

OK, this is my blog, so I can say controversial, harmless things in here if I want to, right? They are all things that I am experiencing, not just my opinions, so, that’s cool, right? Good, here goes.

- I am on a compound with probably 200 Iraqi's on a daily basis and I have seen probably 2 praying on a regular basis. I am not saying they don't pray, but I am saying that it is not the show-stopping spectacle we envision in the states. Maybe they are like most Americans who are “Christians” but show up to church twice a year and pay no more than about $40.00 a year in tithes or offerings. Don’t get mad at me, I am just calling it like I see it… my point is, most Iraqi’s are “normal” people, just like most American’s.

- Nearly ALL the Iraqi’s I have come in contact with observe the Ramadan fasting. They don’t drink anything, including water, and they don’t eat from about 4am until about 6pm daily. That said, it is completely acceptable for non-Muslims to eat around them. This fasting is a personal thing to them and from their perspective they are strong because they resist the temptations. They see me eating in front of them as: 1. A challenge to their resolve that they are going to overcome and be better for overcoming. 2. My personal choice not to observe the fast. They understand that I am not Muslim and therefore don’t observe the same customs they do.

- The Iraqi people want Iraq to be strong, respected and free. They understand that what is done is done and we need to get on with it. They appreciate what help we give them, but want a normalcy that anyone would be right to expect. They want clean running water, consistent electricity, functioning sewage, reliable public services like fire, rescue, police, etc., and they want the inalienable rights everyone deserves. (hmmm, kind-a sounds like most people.) As long as we are here to help them get these things, they like us here. When we lose this focus, we are no longer welcome.

- Along those same lines, we are a crutch to them. OK, their national leg was broken. I got that. Crutches help the leg heal. I understand. Eventually, the cast has to come off and the crutches are needed by someone else. Unfortunately, we don’t have an X-ray machine that tells us exactly when to take off the cast or when to drop the crutches. This is going to have to be a weaning process that may prove painful. We need to start pulling back and letting them exercise their freedoms to succeed or fail on their own.

That is all for now… see that wasn’t so bad! Just my experiences… Agree, disagree? Comment if you feel led!

Semper Fi,
m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

I'm not sure you got my comments from yesterday, because I'm not sure what I'm doing "right" to get my messages to you.
What Fawwaz said about multiple wives is actually Biblical! See Deuteronomy 25:5-10 and Luke 20:28 Matthew 22:24, Mark 12:19. I hope you have your Message Bible from Aunt Marilyn with you.
M&D