Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ramadan

For those of you who don't follow the Islamic calendar, it is the month of Ramadan. This is a month where Muslims fast and pray extra during the day in order to get their hearts and foci right.

It is interesting to watch. Like in America, some do it right and others cheat a little. Working with our interpreter today, a practicing Muslim, I put my foot in my mouth as I was getting ready to go to lunch. I offered to pick him up something really tasty and went into a monolog about how much he would enjoy what I wanted to bring him for lunch. My heart really was in the right place, but my mind was not engaged.

He politely mentioned that he really would enjoy what I wanted to bring him, but that it was Ramadan and that he would prefer to pass on my offer. It is rude to turn down offers of kindness in his culture, so this was very hard for him to do.

I feel bad about it, but really, my heart was to do something nice for him. It is not easy to keep all this stuff straight, that is for sure. He took it really well and I think he understood where my heart was.

The prayers that are broadcast from the minarets are extra long and start at about 3:50 in the morning.

Those Muslims that practice Ramadan really seem groggy during the day (from not eating or drinking anything) and from taking sleeping time eating, drinking and praying. They really show some strong dedication in breaking from their daily habits though. Most of us cannot go without a meal, much less limit ourselves to one meal a day, for a MONTH. Oh the things we could do if we prayed as much as they do.

Have a blessed day of church!

Semper Fi,
m

1 comment:

Mark said...

A really good friend of ours, Brooke Borke e-mailed me a question and gave her permission to add it as a comment:

Have you thought of sharing the Gospel of Christ with your fellow Islamic soldiers? What a fertile mission field you're on for our Lord Jesus Christ! We all have to know that where we are right now is exactly where the Lord wants us to be "on purpose"! We're praying for you.

This was my reply to her e-mail:

A few months ago, a Marine was standing at a checkpoint outside of Fallujah doing his job, screening vehicles and people going into the city. Every Iraqi that passed his check point got a coin with Christian messages on both sides and a scripture reference (this was NOT his job). The coins were shiny and metal and something that we would find absolutely harmless in the states. This Marine made international news as Iraqi’s complained to their sheiks, their sheiks took these coins to the coalition leadership and demanded to know why the occupiers were now trying to change the fabric of what makes Iraq “godly.”

The young Marine was whisked out of Iraq and everyone was told he was disciplined. I don’t really know what that means, but he obviously did not have an opportunity to do it again. Following that incident, everyone that deploys to Iraq gets a briefing that tells us we are NOT allowed to discuss religion, politics or culture with the Iraqi’s. We can talk about us and them, but must avoid asking about any female member of their families until they bring them up, and they seldom do.

Instead, I have resolved to be a good example to them and provide doors for them to ask me about religious topics. I read the Koran and the Bible, comparing and contrasting the various scriptures, learning what they are saying. I do not hide my reading or study. It is educational for me and certainly develops curiosity in them. If they open the door, I am allowed to go through it, but just enough to discuss the topics at hand. They really cannot complain to their sheiks if they brought up the topic and I stick to their questions. It’s not like they can complain to him about me reading the Koran or me reading my own religious book….


As a Marine, I am forbidden to push any religious ideology or philosophy.

Here are a few articles that discuss the incident I mentioned above.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-05-30-marine-coin_N.htm

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564935

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/29/AR2008052903683.html

Semper Fi,
m