Saturday, November 22, 2008

Two little Girls...

Debbie Jacks is my brother's mother in law. She is a great lady with heart of gold.

Last time I was deployed, I worked with teams of Marines who had access to the streets and in many cases, scores of kids.

She sent me packages full of Beanie-Babies and I gave them to Marines who would hand them out to the kids. This was a way the Marines could make instant friends and show the kids they were friendly without saying a word.

Well, I don't have near that access to the kids that I did last time, but this time I do have a little bit. She sent me one such package this go round, and I am not so sure I am going to get all the toys out, but I am going to do my best.

On rare occasions, people seeking help from the Iraqi Police will bring their kids with them and that is what little time I would get to give them a toy.

On one such occasion, I noticed a man with his two daughters walking with one of our interpreters (Willie), as they were leaving the compound. I asked Willie about their story and if next time they came if I could give them a stuffed animal from Debbie's package. He was elated and said that anything like that would be appreciated.

Their mother had been killed by an insurgent's IED about a year ago and the man has had to quit his job to care for his daughters. Willie has been helping out ever since he met them.

From everything we have seen, the man does a great job taking care of them. They are always well behaved and act like respectful, playful girls their age should act.

Well, they came back and I was ready this time... only, I wasn't there. Fortunately, I had left some of the toys with Willie, along with some of the goodies out of some of the other care packages I had received. Willie was spot on, gave them the toys and goodies and then took their picture with a couple near-by Marines.

Thanks for all your support. You back home are supporting me and my efforts to take some of the pressure off of these people. Together, WE are doing great things over here, and I could not do it without you.

Semper Fi,
m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Great story! Do the people know the gifts / toys are from the Americans / GI's since the interpreter is giving them out? That was great that he took the photo with the marines in it.

Are your interpreters Americans who have learned Arabic or Iraqis who have learned English? They seem to be very focused on establishing peace between the 2.

Mom