Friday, October 17, 2008

Why Are We Still In Iraq? (YRWSII?) Part I

Philosophy was never my strong suite as a kid. In fact, it was the only college course I ever withdrew from due to a complete lack of interest. (Winter Term of 1993... remember that one Mom?)

That said, I am going to do my best here with what I have, philosophically speaking.

Further, I am going to get the opinion of some of the Iraqi people here (with Yoda's help of course) as to why they think we are still in Iraq.

I am also going to ask some Marines why they think we are still in Iraq.

Hopefully, you will comment discussing why you think we are in Iraq.

There will be some humor thrown in here about what other people (politicians and the like) would say or have said about why we are still in Iraq.

We can get some devil's advocate going on why we should NOT be in Iraq.

And eventually, maybe we can figure out that this is all just academic and a good way to stay connected while 7 time zones apart... or not.

Now I realize that there are already lots and LOTS of blogs out there on this topic, but this one is mine and it is keeping me sane! I promise to do my best to keep each part original, short and bearable.

My Mom e-mailed me a story today and gave me permission to use it. I am going to take a little liberty here and omit the last little part of it, just for the sake of staying on topic:

Once upon a time there were 2 neighbors. One neighbor was injured and the other, out of kindness brought meals every day. After about 6 months, the injury was healed and the kind neighbor saw that the injured neighbor no longer needed the meals. However, when the kind neighbor stopped supplying the meals, the injured neighbor became irate demanding his free meals.....

From my perspective, we are in our 5th month of handing Iraq it's free meals. We are getting closer and closer to month 6 and we are telling them in advance that they need to do their part with the last few weeks of free food to get a new job and start feeding themselves.

In fact, my job here is an example of the US going that extra mile and teaching them the skills they may not have to feed themselves here in a few "weeks."

I think there are numerous reasons we are still in Iraq, but using the illustration of the story above, we are still here because our injured neighbor is still healing... but it is month 5.

I have lots more to share on this and am interested in your comments!!! Please let me know when you send them if you would like them posted or just want to share them with me. I will respect your wishes.

Semper Fi,
m

No comments: