Thursday, October 9, 2008

The show...:

OK, so I went to that dog and pony show and it was interesting to say the least. The ceremony happened; there were lots of political jabs; the ceremony ended. Yeah....

It all started out awkwardly enough...: The two American LtCols were right on with their protocol. They shook hands and went down the line, from right to left, just like they were supposed to. They took their seats in the front row and gave those arriving room to sit next to them if they chose.

As new VIP's arrived, they stood and extended their hands. Those arriving are supposed to go to the senior guy in the front and then work to their left. Those arriving never started with the American LtCols. This meant that the LtCols were one of the last people to be greeted and they always, graciously offered a seat next to them to the person they were greeting. Until the last sheik, every one of them declined. I was very surprised.
I am not sure if this was because they were trying to say no to the Americans or if they were saying yes to someone else, but either way, it didn't look so good.

In attendance at the beginning of the ceremony (and that is important here...) were the Mayor of Ramadi, the Ramadi District Police Chief (this ceremony took place at the Ramadi District headquarters and he was the highest ranking Police Officer at the ceremony, as a Colonel), more than a dozen Iraqi Police LtCols and four sheiks from the Ramadi area. Also in attendance were probably a hundred Iraqi police and military members and probably 50 Marines.

The ceremony started and a plaque was passed from the leaving American LtCol to Col Salih, the District Police Chief to the other American LtCol, signifying a change of authority in this district.

It was after that, that the real fun began.... The leaving American LtCol took the microphone and just as he began to give his remarks, a convoy of vehicles rolled up. It was the uninvited Provincial Police Chief, Major General Tariq and an uninvited Iraqi Army Brigadier General.

The American LtCol graciously stopped and allowed the General and his "party" to greet the VIP section and be seated... in HIS and the other American LtCol's chairs.

In his remarks the American LtCol talked about Col Salih and how good it was to work with him... not one word about the General. He finished up and handed the microphone off to the incoming American LtCol talked about how excited he was to work with Col Salih and make his district safer... again, not one word about the General.

In concluding his remarks, both Americans moved from in front of the ceremony and went to take seats... that were already taken. Col Salih saw this and shewed two Iraqi LtCol out of their chairs and gave them to the Americans.

Following the ceremony, food was brought out and it was then social time for those at the ceremony. The American LtCols had not approached the General.

Yoda (Fawwaz) elbowed me and pointed out that this was a bad thing. The American leaders need to go and introduce themselves to the General.

OK... I can act on that piece of intel.... I walked over to the SgtMaj and informed him of the protocol that was being missed (Gunny's don't just walk by a SgtMaj and correct his LtCol... and that is some Marine Corps protocol I KNOW would have gained some unwanted attention on my part).

I greeted the SgtMaj and expressed my concern on a potential offense that could be avoided with a simple greeting. Immediately, his brow wrinkled up and he started quietly scolding me about how he was a SgtMaj, how he knew protocol and how some little Gunny was not going to correct him or his LtCol. Noted. At that point, I knew I had done all I could do and this was in his hands.

At that point I looked at Yoda and asked him if it was acceptable to get my picture taken with the Mayor and the General. This got him all excited and he started waving his hands... um, what did I say?

Everyone started looking at us... we had just become the center of attention. This was the opportunity Yoda was looking for. We went straight up to MGen Tariq and got our picture taken with him. (The Major General Tariq is the Man right next to me. The man next to him is an Iraqi Army Brigadier General and the LtCol next to him is the LtCol next to him....)
Yoda had found a way to break the ice with the General, make him feel like an important person and get the LtCol's attention on the General. Ego... we had played to his ego and possibly prevented something ugly. (This is the me with the Mayor of Ramadi.)

Well, that started a MOB! Everyone broke out cameras and started to take pictures with people. People who thought they were important started elbowing their way into pictures with important people. The below started out as a picture with me, another Marine and the Mayor and several other VIPs had to jump in too. (OK, so there is me, SSgt W, the Mayor, a Sheik, a civic leader, another Sheik and an interpreter.

Shortly after Yoda and I had completely changed the dynamics of the gathering, the SgtMaj came up to me and asked, "who are you?"

"I'm Batman!"... no wait, wrong story... "Bond, James Bond"......

I told him who I am and what unit I am from. He contemplated that for a moment and then he apologized. I must tell you, it takes a man of a SgtMaj to apologize. SgtMaj's are supposed to be infallible and this man had the courage to admit that he wasn't.

About that time I heard my name from across the crowd of people, "SALAM! Habibi!! (brother-like friend)" What do you think I said to that: "SALAM!!!" He laughed and hugged my neck. (This is the man who gave me my nick-name. His new nick-name is Abu-Salam (father of Salam, because he gave me my name.)

Semper Fi,
m

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, you have gone the extra mile. This time it appears to have prevented a potential volatile situation. Regardless of Rank, you are the man that you have chosen to become. That alone will move you forward in life to bigger and greater things. Miss you bro! Keep up the good work(s).

John

Anonymous said...

Mark
My new name for you is "Isaac." This week in Sunday School (I teach 1st and 2nd graders, mind you,) we are learning about Isaac and how he was a "peace keeper". If you remember the story, when his "enemies" filled his wells with sand, he just picked up and moved somewhere else. He did that 3or 4 times before he finally came to a place where the surrounding people did not clog his well. (His servants dug the wells!!!! Maybe if HE had to dig them, he wouldn't be so willing to move!!) Some people would call him a chicken for not standing up and fighting, but my Sunday School lesson portrays him as a peace keeper. You are definitely not a chicken (you approached the SgtMaj), but you definitely are a peace keeper!!! I'll bet you sleep well tonight!!!!!!!!! Things are going better for me at work here too!!
Mom
As usual, we're so proud of you! Great thinking!!!!!!!
LOVED, LOVED the pictures!!!!!
You learned your 1st and 2nd Sunday School lessons as a child very well!!!!!!!!!