Sunday, October 12, 2008

I saw it again.

As I was walking out of the station where I work, I saw one of the interpreters (terps) carrying a big toy doll, still in her box, all dressed in pink girly clothes. She was one of those little doll-babies you would see a little girl go all googly over on one of those Christmas specials.... Anyway, trailing him was another terp carrying a similar doll and a black plastic bag concealing something similar in size.

They were moving rather quickly, and seeing them scurrying past, I start to get really curious. My initial instinct is to harass them about playing with dolls, but as I suppress it, it hits me that those dolls are not for them.

I followed them out the door, as I was on my way to a meeting, and that is when I saw it: "Cloud 9." These two men had handed the toys to three little kids. I should have figured that one out, right?

They were in their last day of a traditional three day morning period following a death in the family but the smiles on their faces concealed any pain they were in at the time. There is just something about that stereo-typical baby-doll hug that is the remedy for any little girl ailment.

I think I smiled for the next 15 minutes, which would have made me look really goofy as I walked into my meeting 2 minutes later. Everyone was probably thinking, "What is wrong with that guy...."

Semper Fi,
m

No comments: