Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A MARINE'S NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS

I didn't write this, and it makes its rounds every year, but it is a good one worth repeating.


T'was the night before Christmas,
He lived all alone,
in a one bedroom house
made of Plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney
with presents to give,
And to see just who
in this home did live.

I looked all about,
a strange sight I did see,
No tinsel, no presents,
not even a tree.

No stockings by mantle,
Just boots filled with sand,
on the wall hung pictures
of far distant lands.

With medals and badges,
Awards of all kinds,
a sober thought
came through my mind.

For this house was different,
it was dark and dreary;
I found the home of a Marine,
once I could see clearly.

The Marine lay sleeping,

silent, alone,
curled up on the floor
in this one bedroom home.

His face was so worn;
it looked so serene,
not how I had pictured
A US Marine.

Was this the hero
of whom I'd just read?
Curled up on a poncho,
the floor for a bed?

I realized the families
that I saw this night,
Owed their lives to these Marines
Who were willing to fight.

Soon round the world,
the children would play,
and grownups would celebrate
a bright Christmas Day.

They all enjoyed freedom
each month of the year,
Because of Marines,
Like the one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder
how many lay alone,
on a cold Christmas Eve
In a land far from home.

The very thought

Brought a tear to my eye,
I dropped to my knees
and started to cry.

The Marine awakened
and I heard a rough voice.
"Santa, don't cry,
this life is my choice."

"I fight for freedom.
I don't ask for more.
My life is my God,
My country, my Corps."

The Marine rolled over
and drifted to sleep.
I couldn't control it,
I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours.
So silent and still
and we both shivered
from the cold night's chill.

I didn't want to leave
on that cold, dark night,
and this guardian of honor
so willing to fight.

Then, the Marine rolled over;
with a voice soft and pure
Whispered, "Carry on, Santa,
It's Christmas Day. All is secure."

One look at my watch,
and I knew he was right.
"Merry Christmas, my friend,
and to all a good night."

-Author Unknown

Semper Fi,
m

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a Merry Christmas, Gunny. I have the same poem posted at my blog with photos of my son, LCpl Mead. God bless you and the Marines and bring you home -- at the right time -- safely.