Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Camp Cupcake

Well this new place is only the latest of a continuing transition. I am now on an established base that is considered extremely secure.

There is a section of stores that has been deemed Northpoint Mall. In that compound there is a Pizza Hut, KFC, Berger King and even a Cinnabun.

This place is so comfortable that the Marines have deemed it Camp Cupcake. That is probably a common name for bases abroad that are just too comfortable.

At first I found that concept completely backwards. "Too Comfortable?" Is there such thing?

Actually, in a combat zone, there is. Creature comforts like these breed complacency and complacency kills.

Where Sgt Garrett and I were before, there was a constant sharpening of our combat skills. We routinely had ranges, reset training, radio training, and opportunities to practice combat convoys. On top of all that, we were doing the job we were sent out to do.

The Marines on Camp Cupcake are so engaged in their work that the additional training and practice never happens... but they are not so engaged that they can't make it to KFC or one of the other creature comfort locations.

If they had to go on a combat convoy, like Sgt Garrett and I did every other day, would they be ready? Would they have that sharp edge they would need to react properly in a split-second?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we were something special or that these Marines are not doing their jobs. They are doing AWESOME out here, but the life lived here is so much different. It is almost like we were in a different country down there in Ramadi.

There are two out-door pools that the Marines here can use when the weather is right... POOLS!

At the Ramadi DHQ, we never unloaded our pistols. I haven't loaded my pistol since I have been at Camp Cupcake.

Hopefully my upcoming assignment will be somewhere I can stay sharp and still have a few of the comforts of home at the same time.

Semper Fi,
m

No comments: