Monday, March 21, 2016

Words Have Meaning...

What does THAT mean?

Well, when you refer to someone as your mentor, your old lady, "that guy", you either intentionally or unintentionally paint a picture, for anyone paying attention, about how you feel about that person.  Sometimes that picture is flattering ... other times, not so much. 

My bride and I have been married for 23+ years now.  Her nick-name is Beautiful. 

You can tell how I feel about her just by looking at how I refer to her.  She is my best friend and the love of my life.  We have been through a lot together and through it all, we still love and respect and honor each other and our relationship. 

We really listen to each other's words and that means we don't have to use superfluous volumes of fluff.  We say what we mean and mean what we say. 

On the other hand, we have to be careful with the words we choose.  We intend for them to be impactful.  Stray words then can really hurt. 

Don't lose the phrase above, "for anyone paying attention".  Words only mean things if the person listening understand them and take to heart their meaning.  You could speak Greek to me all day long and I wouldn't get your meaning.  You could speak American English to me, but if I didn't pick up on your intended meanings, your message would be lost. 

Communication then, is a two-way street.  Both participants in the conversation must be engaged and picking up on the meaning intended for the conversation. 

Semper Fi,
m

No comments: